Sunday, January 22, 2012

Preliminary Project Thoughts

Essential Question: How can I realistically predict the use of technology in operation rooms in the future?

What I will need to know: I will need to know, of course, what the status of the most current innovations in surgical technology is. I’m trying to research what a general setup in today’s nicest OR’s is like, and through this research try to narrow down on a certain branch of surgery. For example, the phacoemulsifier machine is the cotton gin of cataract surgery; a huge time-saver and accuracy booster for the operation. I will need to find out more about upcoming projects, and then start making my own predictions and hypotheses afterwards.

How will I use technology to showcase my project: I plan on using a computer and an animoto/squidoo/prezi like program to create an aesthetically appealing presentation. I also plan on doing some sort of handout of brochure, but in a way that it’s not like every other brochure. I hope to also come across another type of technology where I could somehow virtually create a model of my ideas.

What will I do for my real inquiry: I will first and foremost “interview” my mentor for his ideas and thoughts on upcoming technology, as he’s the one who helped prompt me to do this as a final project. I can then ask some of the PA’s, AA’s, or non-busy MD’s around the surgery center for their opinion on the future of technology. I will document all of my findings. From here I can conduct “normal” research and start a pathway to new ideas and answers.

1 comment:

  1. I am still a bit concerned about the 'scope' of your project-and who you are 'targeting'. We can tweak this...however, I do think you have an interesting topic.

    ReplyDelete